We are currently recruiting for an Assistant Technical Manager to be based at our Melton Foods site in Melton Mowbray.
Melton Foods is part of the Samworth Brothers Group, a 4th generation family business that prides itself on looking after its people and producing high quality products.
We are always looking for outstanding people, with great attitudes and an openness to learning to join our family. The size of our business enables us to support career development and progression that will help our people fulfil their potential.
- To lead and motivate the QA team and drive a culture that promotes the continuous improvement of both product quality and factory standards
- To ensure that the traceability system is complete and challenged regularly to ensure compliance
- To investigate factory non-conformances (specification and housekeeping/ hygiene) & ensure that the necessary corrective actions are taken. Agree actions to be taken for non-conforming product or components.
- Train, coach and mentor QAs to ensure audits are of a high standard, facilitating continuous improvement and ensuring the highest technical standards are achieved.
- To ensure that the QA audits relating to GMP, HACCP, quality and hygiene systems are audited at the agreed frequency with audit findings effectively communicated and issues followed up.
- To be an integral member of the Melton Foods management team, working closely with and supporting the technical as well as other functions, including hygiene, commercial and operations.
- To participate in ensuring that the bakery is ‘audit ready’ in the event of either scheduled or unannounced technical audits/visits.
- To participate in taste panels, both at Melton Foods and at customers premises. To ensure that the panels are conducted at the agreed frequency & that corrective actions / follow up activities are carried out.
- To participate in customer site visits and factory tours and to ensure that visit reports are written up and closed off on a timely basis
- To ensure that complaint and micro investigations are carried out by the QA team. Complaint investigation details are to be passed to the Technical Assistant for customer responses to be prepared
- Ensure all equipment used in the manufacture of product are calibrated by appropriately trained personnel and at an appropriate frequency. In addition, ensure any calibration / CCP verification equipment requiring repair is done so in a timely manner.
- Conduct and communicate fabrication and hygiene audits to ensure that site standards remain high and that product safety is not compromised. To ensure that system internal audits are maintained in accordance with the agreed schedule and corrective actions are followed up and audits closed off.
The Right Person
You will be someone who is self-motivated and focused on the customer. You will demonstrate initiative and ownership. You value others and their contribution and enjoy working collaboratively with colleagues. You will be flexible and adaptable to change. In addition, you will have the following skills:
- HND / Degree in a Food Science or related discipline
- A formal up to date qualification in HACCP (minimum level 3). A formal qualification in Auditing
- Significant experience in a similar role in chilled multi component food manufacture
- Experience in dealing with the major multiple retailers and implementation of tech standards / COP’s
- Experience of Tesco PIU and BRC. A need to be flexible, working in a 24/7 manufacturing facility
What we have to offer:
We provide a terrific range of benefits including great facilities with onsite parking and subsidised restaurants, as well as an excellent retirement savings plan (pension), private health cover (subject to terms and conditions) and a discount scheme ‘Quality Life’ that provides savings at supermarkets, high street retailers and a host of leisure outlets.