We are currently recruiting for a Process Development Technologist to join our team on permanent basis
Based on a 10 acre site in rural Leicestershire, Melton Foods has been developing and creating by hand premium, high quality Food to Go and Entertaining ranges since 1998. We supply premium tier products to some of the major UK retailers and Food to Go outlets, in both retailer own brand and the UK’s largest sandwich brand, Ginsters.
Operating 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and with almost 1600 employees, we are a major employer in Leicester. Continuous investment in our people and our facilities has enabled our business to grow into one of the UK’s largest chilled food to go manufacturers with an enviable reputation for quality, consistency and innovation in a fast-moving market.
The role of a Process Development Technologist is to take an approved concept product or current product recipe changes through to launch, ensuring that at all times that food safety, legality and product quality is taken into consideration.
You will work closely with all areas of the business including production, technical, planning, finance, engineering, purchasing and commercial departments, communicating and troubleshooting throughout the process.
In further detail your key responsibilities will include:
- Managing projects in line with critical path, internal and customer criteria resolving any issues in a timely manner before launch
- Planning, organising and carrying out trials on new products ensuring all aspects of the product are acceptable and can be manufactured in line with the business expectations
- Attend production meetings on appropriate shifts to ensure aims of trials and importance of product launch are clearly briefed to whole production team
- Follow up any production or raw material concerns that are highlighted from trials, to feedback trials at the NPD meeting and take relevant actions to resolve.
- Communicate launch details to customers including arranging, reviewing and despatching samples for review as requested
- Ensuring that all new ingredients, processes & products adhere to all technical food safety, legality and quality requirements.
- Communicate and chair a Pre-Production and Pre-Launch Meeting, at least one week prior to product launch
- Generate Pre- Launch Minutes, Launch Sample Request and Launch Packs for issue at the Pre-Launch Meeting
- Check all new raw materials and packaging delivered onto site are checked against and comply with the supplier’s specification standards and the site’s safety standards
- Attend launch and ensure that production process is adhered to and product is produced to all specified standards
The Successful Individual
To be successful in the role, you will have the following required skills, experience, knowledge and qualifications;
- Experience gained in a process/technical position within food manufacturing, chilled advantageous
- Previous experience working directly with retail customers
- Ability to understand the initial set up of customer specifications.
- Degree or equivalent qualification in a food science based subject is preferable or Advanced Food Hygiene qualification
- Basic knowledge of launching products using a critical path
- Ideally experience of writing & managing critical paths.
- Strong communication skills are required as well as strong analytical skills
It’s the quality of our people that’s made us successful and Melton a great place to work. We encourage a culture of opportunity and learning where our people can gain skills and qualifications to achieve their full potential. We reward hard work and dedication with competitive pay, retirements saving plan, profit share, private health care, occupational health, subsidised employee restaurant, long service awards, free car parking.