We are recruiting for a Product Development Manager to join our Walkers Deli & Sausage Co site in Leicester.
Walker Deli & Sausage Co is part of the Samworth Brothers Group, a 4th generation family business that prides itself on looking after its people and producing high quality products.
We are always looking for outstanding people, with great attitudes and an openness to learning to join our family. The size of our business enables us to support career development and progression that will help our people fulfil their potential.
- Working as key member of the overall site development team, the jobholder will lead and drive the Product Development process from the Kitchen as defined by the business strategy.
- This role encompasses being the main business NPD contact and commercial support for all retail and some B2B.
- As part of this process, a key remit of the role is to ensure that the company follows an NPD process and critical path to ensure launches are kept within company objectives and products are launched to a high standard in a timely manner.
- Predominately this is a site-based role, co-ordinating all activities of the commercial team, the kitchen and the Technologists to ensure that all internal and external meetings are implemented. Communication and visibility to all is key, ensuring all projects are delivered within key dates and timelines. There may be occasions when this is a customer-facing role and the job holder is expected to support the Commercial Account Managers and Technologists with presentations and customer visits when required.
- Identifying and evaluating food trends in conjunction with the category, commercial and development chefs to support the business vision and customer strategy within a rolling 2-year horizon.
- Liaise with Ingredient Sourcing Specialist and Packaging Technologist to ensure all raw materials and packaging are available for product development and submissions.
- Ensure the team adheres to safe ways of working and site procedures.
- Support the Technologists & Chefs in achieving daily tasks and ensure the correct level of training is supported by a well-managed PDP with reviews
- Working cross functionally with Technical, Process and Operations to ensure alignment through the stage & gate process.
The Right Person
You will be someone who is self-motivated and focused on the customer. You will demonstrate initiative and ownership. You value others and their contribution and enjoy working collaboratively with colleagues. You will be flexible and adaptable to change. In addition, you will have the following skills:
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in food manufacturing environment.
- BSc or equivalent in a Food related discipline. Previous Project Management experience.
- Competent with all major software packages.
- Organisational & project management skills to assist with critical path deadlines & project priorities.
- Working knowledge of the factory and raw materials currently used on site.
- Is able to effectively time manage – to structure the team’s day efficiently with regards to differing priorities / workloads as well as working to tight deadlines.
What we have to offer:
We provide a terrific range of benefits including great facilities with onsite parking and subsidised restaurants, as well as an excellent retirement savings plan (pension), private health cover (subject to terms and conditions) and a discount scheme ‘Quality Life’ that provides savings at supermarkets, high street retailers and a host of leisure outlets.